How much will a book design cost?
Book design cost is dependent on many factors ranging from page count, cover design, and interior graphics. Generally, a basic book over 200 pages will be charged at $3 per page plus a setup fee but an estimate will be given for any book project. Additional costs are with illustrations, graphs/tables, photos, logos, or additional cover designs requested. Special formatting, footnotes, index, end notes, and/or bibliography will also require a price quote.
For additional graphic design to supplement your book, an estimate will be given for projects such as brochures, bookmarks, rack cards, web-pages, etc..
How long will it take?
Usually 4-8 weeks to go to press upon receiving your edited manuscript. A fact of book design is that seeing their words typeset in it's final form, a new author will often revise their book as the "reality" of printing sets in. Delays can happen with this and this should be a consideration in the time-frame to market.
What printers have you worked with?
The Print-On-Demand printers I work with are CreateSpace, Lightning Source, LuLu, iUniverse, as well as many smaller independent book printers. Also I have experience with traditional offset printing in quantity both in the USA and China. Hardback and Softcover. Oversize and Standard. Color and Black & White.
How do you want my book manuscript?
A Microsoft Word document is standard. Using MS Word's STYLES for Headings, Subtitles, Quoted text, and Lists are requested. For included photographs in a book, the highest resolution JPEG or TIFF file is ideal. Scanning services for your photographs and artwork are available.
The formatting and creative process is done on Mac computers with Windows programs used as a supplement. The following software is a few used at Mark Gelotte design:
- Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) to process your manuscript from a PC or a Mac
- NeoOffice and Pages to process your manuscript from a PC to Mac
- Adobe InDesign to design, format and typeset your book/ e-book
- QuarkXPress to design, format and typeset your book/ e-book
- Adobe Photoshop to prepare photos, retouch photos, illustration, and create
- Corel Painter to illustrate covers and interior artwork
- Freehand and Illustrator to design covers, diagrams, symbols, and artwork
- Adobe Acrobat to prepare the final book to a printer's specifications or to copy-protect and hyperlink an e-book.
- Calibre for e-library management and e-book format conversion.
"Whether it is traditional printing of your book or the fast-growing Print On Demand and ePub world, I can keep you up-to-date with your book project. Let's talk!"— Mark Gelotte